Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Can I learn to speak Dutch?

Over the week, I've decided to go with learning a foreign language- and that language is dutch.

In the past few days, I have been using Duolingo (https://www.duolingo.com/) to learn the vocabulary. It seemed simple at first, but Dutch can be quite challenging. Learning words and phrases that appear similar requires memorization. The dutch alphabet is similar to the english one, though the pronunciation is different-  this will be new for me.

It may be difficult,but I am determined to memorize a few greetings and words in the dutch language. Even after the weeks of Genius Hour, I want to continue my study, and maybe even visit The Netherlands someday.

So far, I only know pronouns and how to introduce myself. This week I want to advance further- learn questions, adjectives, and formal/informal words if I can.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Learning a new language is very difficult, but it always helps when the language is similar to one you already know fluently. I read somewhere that Dutch is one of the best languages for English speakers to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That gives me confidence! Before I had began learning the basics of the language, I assumed it was difficult because Dutch is similar to German- so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete